Sunday, October 10, 2010

I'm ONE !!!!!!!!!!






MY FIRST BIRTHDAY!
 As Davids 2nd birthday is fast approaching, I feel compelled to share his first birthday. Davids birthday was not by any means a "typical" first birthday. It was celebrated in the PICU. He was just getting over a very nasty infection that had him on paralytics and sedation for 4 weeks, and he was still on a slow fentonyl drip. He was quite sleepy and a bit agitated that day, but he was still surrounded by many family and friends, and also by MANY doctors and nurses. The wonderful staff at the hospital threw David a "surprise" party, all though the surprise was really more for me and my husband! We walked in that morning to find balloons all over Davids room, cards from staff, and a beautiful cake and ice cream on his counter. I cried! They didn't have to do this, how selfless of them all to try and make Davids day as "normal" and a special a day as possible. The staff made that day so special.

Me and my husbands favorite part of that day was the look on Davids face when he got his very first taste of any thing other than calcium, and neo-sweet. I was so surprised when the doctor told me to give David a taste of the icing. His cleft pallet allows food to get into his airway, and it can get into his lungs. Being vent dependant on top of that has never allowed David to eat by mouth.The look on his face was priceless. His lips smacked, his tongue rolled, and every time my hand went back towards his face with more he practically DOVE to my finger! He enjoyed it so much. The staff at the hospital had gotten him a few gifts. A couple blankets, t-shirts, and a stuffed toy or two. The staff there is what got us through that day smiling. We were so devastated that our little miracle had to celebrate his birthday in the hospital. We quickly came to realize that no matter where we celebrated with David, we were just grateful to have him here to celebrate with.

David had dozens of gifts from our family, I had the bright idea to have David "open" all his gifts, its just not the same if we open them for him. This look about 5 hours! He has very little reserve so after about 10 minutes of opening gifts he would get mad and take about a 20 minute nap and then be ready to go again.! Like most children, Davids favorite gift that day was the packaging! He fell in love with a bundle of colorful ribbon and actually slept with it that night. We tried taking it, but he wasn't having that! We had a wonderful day, David smiled and laughed soooo much that day and that was all I needed. So after cake, ice cream, and opening gifts, we ordered a pizza and watched Finding Nemo!!!!!!

The best birthday party I ever attended was HANDS DOWN my Little warrior Davids first birthday celebrated in the PICU! How strange will that sound to the "average" person? It was a wonderful day full of laughter and wonderful memories, and a couple new experiences for David!

My first Taste of "real" food!
David will be two years old on December 19th! I'm praying we will have him home for his birthday, but If we have to celebrate in the PICU again, that will be OK. We will be together, as a family, celebrating two years of life for a child whom we were told wouldn't make it past 5 months! Watching him laugh and smile, making sure it is a day like no other!!!!!
My favorite present!!!!
Messy face! :)

To cute huh?

My banner!!
The cake the staff got me!!

No comments:

Post a Comment